Wednesday, February 3, 2010

How To Fix A Leaky Toilet - Part 1


I've got a few water saving repairs to do around my home so I thought I'd start a Blog to show you how and also why you should do them !



How to Repair a Leaky Toilet.



My toilet's been leaking for a few weeks. This not only is annoying , due to the sound of running water, but it also costs money as it consumes water. So I'm gonna fix it but also, I'm going to update the toilet's flush mechanism to a modern double flush system. This makes sense because its not going to take me any longer to do and whereas my toilet used 10l with every flush with the new mechanism fitted its going to use only 3L for a partial flush and 6L for a full flush. It might not seem like much difference but if you do the calculation for a family of four you'll see its going to save a lot of water. If your water is metered that equates to a substantial cash saving on your water bill. If not well at least you can be content that you're helping save the environment every time you go to the toilet !!!




So Here it is



How to Repair a leaky toilet.



This job takes about half and hour from start to finish.


Tools : you will need to repair your leaky toilet:


  • 19mm spanner (or an adjustable spanner)
  • 17mm spanner (or an adjustable spanner)
  • Philips Screwdriver (medium)
  • Small nylon faced hammer ( in case the old flush mechanism is locked on by lime-scale)
  • Old rags or an old towel (to absorb water)



Toilet Repair Step 1: TURN OFF THE WATER AT THE STOPCOCK !!!


Actually before you do its worth ; (a) filling a bucket with water - in case you need some water.
(b) filling the kettle - in case you want to have a cuppa!


3 comments:

  1. Hi again Richard! I'd really love to hear more from you. This is educative not only to the household owners but also the plumbers. This is a good information on how to fix toilet. Thanks!:)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Katherine,

      Thanks for your comment. I'm glad you found my blog useful.

      Delete
  2. It’s true that when you have water accumulated around your toilet, chances are you are spending a substantial amount on your water bill due to undetected leaks. Thank you for giving us a sort of lesson in plumbing 101. I hope this will help a lot of homeowners who are under the same household predicament. Have a nice day!

    Martha Ward @ Son-Rise Plumbing

    ReplyDelete